Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Writing On the Wall

So, here I am in the spring of 2013, still needing to get healthy, knowing I do, and not quite investing all of me in the effort.  Two things happened this week that spoke volumes to me about what I need to do in my life and why.  The first thing was a simple poster posted on Pinterest.  It was from Bonnie Pfiester and said, "I will beat her.  I will train harder.  I will eat cleaner.  I know her weaknesses.  I know her strengths.  I've lost to her before, but not this time.  I have the advantage because I know her well.  She is the old me. "  For some reason that struck a cord in me, more so than some things.  I am an intelligent person, and the truth is I know not being healthy is a choice.  I've also made great strides at times only to back down for one reason or another, and pretty good reasons too.  But none good enough to excuse not taking care of myself.  I have been my own worst enemy.

The second reason is a little more difficult, and much more significant event for me.  My brother called me this week to tell me we were taking my mom to the hospital ICU in a neighboring town.  She was having heart issues, pretty significant ones.  As we checked my mom in, joked along with her about her wheel chair, and cried in the hallway so she couldn't see, I understood more significantly than ever that I needed to take care of myself so I could take care of others.  You see we have a really strong family history of heart issues.  Those things are pretty easy to set aside when you are in your 20's, because your 40's and 50's seem a long way off.  I'm here now, and I'm watching my really health, active mother, who takes care of herself, be admitted to the hospital for a condition that was given to her genetically, not through any choice of her own, or even as a result of poor choices. 

I also realized, up front and personal, that if I was going to be able to help my mom over come this issue ahead of her and if I was going to have any chance to not put my kids and husband in the same situation, I have to start making some changes.  I know what I need to do.  I even go there...a little bit...  But I am committing this to writing for myself and anyone who cares to read it.  I.  WILL.  GET.  HEALTHY.  (not tomorrow, not next week..) 

Mark my words.  I have too much reason not to. 

So, interspersed with my room make overs, furniture re-dos, and other country lifestyle posts, you may get some  updates on my progress, reports on aha moments, milestones, or just struggles.  That will just keep me honest. 

2 comments: