Monday, May 4, 2015

Discovery

As just an update to my "Try the World" fun, we had a taste of Morocco  in rural Nebraska last week. We made a variation on the recipe below, from "I Breathe, I'm Hungry" website.  The original recipe is for Moroccan Spiced Lamb Shanks.  Instead, I rounded up some lamb chops, grilled them with a kefta rub from "Try The World" until they were medium well.  In the mean time, I made a sauce of 1/2 cup onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tsp. ground ginger, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. coriander, 1 tsp. ground cinnamon, a tsp. paprika, 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes, 2 cups chicken broth, 2 tbsp. sweetener, salt and pepper to taste.  I sautéed the onions in a tablespoon of olive oil, and then added the spices, tomatoes, and broth and heated it on low for about an hour.  This was served over the chops when they came off the grill.  These could not have been any better!

I was leary of cooking lamb, as sometimes it is a little strong for me.  But when my husband said that they were great and that he would eat them again, well, I knew we had found a new great main dish.  I wish you could have experienced the aroma wafting out of this kitchen.  We paired our lamb chops with a Cotes Du Rohne and we were pleasantly surprised at how nice that was.

Today, my "Try the World" fun arrived from Paris.  Ever heard of French salt from the salt flats in the south of France?  Well, I have my very own jar!

This culinary experience is as much fun to plan as it is to participate in.  This week, in session three of the wine course, we are comparing two French wines, Chablis and Chardonnay.  We are having sea scallops with a balsamic reduction appetizer, crab stuffed tilapia, and some undetermined vegetable.   At this rate, I think it will be my new favorite thing...roasted radishes.  Cut into bite size pieces, tossed in olive oil and salted with...yes, you guessed it..French salt and then baked at 350 until they are soft and slightly brown,  you have this amazing little side dish that tastes better than potatoes, and better for you too!


No comments:

Post a Comment