Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Where next...

Travel always seemed elusive to me growing up.  We did a little bit, locally, but it wasn't until I got married that I really had opportunities that really seemed out of reach before.  My husband and I talked about traveling, but I think our love and passion for it really kind of grew in us as opportunities arose and we would find ourselves thinking, "Wow, I checked that off the bucket list, ....what next?".

I never really expected to be able to travel like we have.  I feel really blessed to have seen a little of the world, and to have experienced different cultures, food, and places.   The first time we went on a major trip, after our honeymoon that is, we went to Europe.  I was working as a counselor in a parochial school and the principal suggested I organize an adult trip to Europe.  I fully expected Tim to say there was no way.  I really thought it was out of our reach.  But what he did instead was say, "Let's make it happen."

It caught me off guard then, but it soon became clear that he would always approach every appeal that way.  He spoils me.  Not that it is always easy, mind you, but just that if it is at all possible, he looks at the request, figures out what needs to be done to make it a possibility, and then takes one step at a time to make it so. Isn't that cool?  He's a keeper.

Since that time, we've had some amazing opportunities.  As a matter of course, if you are reading this blog, you will occasionally hear about travels.  Most recently, I had the chance go to a conference in Seattle and Tim decided to go with me.  We went a day early so we could sneak over to one of our favorite places, Vancouver Island, and stay at Spinnaker's Guest House and eat at their Brew Pub.

One of Tim's childhood friends and his wife drove 5 HOURS to meet us.  We felt really special.  It was great spending some time with them and reconnecting in Seattle..they live south of Portland.

I was able to attend the ALA Midwinter Conference too, which was a really big deal for someone who hasn't secured a job in library science yet.  What a treat to hear guest speaker Caroline Kennedy speak!

I love turning unexpected opportunities into travel experiences, and what better way than to enjoy it with your best friend, old friends, meeting new friends, and experiencing great scenery, food, music, and taking advantage of opportunities.  Thanking God every day for those blessings! 


No comments:

Post a Comment